Slowly I turn...
On July 2nd, I took an early morning journey that was an unexpectedly great decision. I arrived at Niagara Falls, on the Ontario side, just after 7 AM to peaceful surroundings. With the exception of a few cyclists and joggers, I was able to stroll along Victoria Park with the sights and sounds to myself. The sun was low in the sky, the mist over the falls was heavy, and it was quiet and lovely.
Approximately 90% of the Niagara River, after diversions for hydropower, flows over Horseshoe Falls, the Canadian Falls. The remaining 10% flows over the American Falls. Who knew? So, there's no doubt that the Canadian side is absolutely stunning in comparison, but the panoramic view is captivating. At 9 AM, the tour buses began to arrive, followed by the tour boats beginning their journeys. It was time for me to move on.
My next stop was the USA for the 4th of July, and a visit with a dear high school friend and family. It has been more than 10 years since Barbara and I connected in person, and there was much catching up to do and holiday fun to be had. We enjoyed 4 days of great food, fireworks, music, cake walking (a new game for me), cycling, the beach, and hours of conversation. We're exactly the same as when we skipped homeroom together, if you ignore the minor wrinkles!
7/13/2016 01:29:20 pm
Imagining the sound of the powerful Falls as I enjoy your great photos of Horseshoe Falls---can readily understand positive use of hydropower. Fourth of July setting & activities look SO Americana! And so great to see Barb and family photos. Await elaboration of "Cakewalk."
7/16/2016 11:33:41 am
Yes, it was a really fun 4th of July! The cake walk? Think musical chairs but instead of a number disappearing, the lucky number wins a cake!
7/13/2016 05:48:42 pm
Judy -- so great to read your Brockport post and your wonderful capture of the moments of your visit. When all else in the world seems so effing uncertain, it is reassuring to know that after decades of not seeing each other, we can so easily swing back into and navigate our friendship as as if we just saw each other yesterday. The core of who we are has stayed the same and any differences then and now are really the pivots that work. I love not camping while you love your days and nights in a tent. So our hunt for the best dry white wine, discount haircuts that are not discount cuts, and good food and fun forever rule. Hey, as we gray, remember when we use to Sun In out hair so we could be blond? Cake walk is the way. Safe travels and love from Russia!
7/16/2016 11:36:18 am
Barb, Indeed, let's have every day of life be a cake walk!
7/29/2016 11:05:32 pm
Judy, you must have a great camera to be able to get such great shots of the falls. Glad you caught up with Barbara. Can't believe she hasn't changed one bit.
7/31/2016 06:00:53 pm
8/13/2016 08:33:08 pm
Oh Judy, 90%, what beauty! Your descriptions simply captivate me, if you don't turn this all into a book, how is the world going to know? Isn't miraculous how you can pick up a sentence in midair with an old friend and the year between disappear...The Manning house is some big place, the windows! and want to know what a cakewalk when we are next together! See u still talk with your hands, made me laugh! Those northern waters are SO cold, I remember Maine. Love Anthony and Douglas.... having fun here with you tonight!!!! lo.
Leave a Reply.
Cyclist, writer, teacher, avid reader, bike/ped advocate, nomad, pie lover