Instructor, Tutor, Moderator
My training and experience as a teacher prepared me for nearly every career challenge I've had these past few decades.
I literally stepped out of a primary school one day, and into an ad agency the next, bringing solid planning, organizing, writing, managing, facilitating, speaking, and people skills with me.
Helping students of all ages to achieve begins by designing measurable goals, objectives, strategies and tactics that keep us all accountable. If, like me, you've created and launched innumerable marketing and business plans, this method will sound quite familiar.
As in most work environments, teachers are contributors to a group scenario that needs constant motivation, inspiration, creativity and confidence that the job can be done. I credit much of my success as a marketing pro, business manager, event planner, professional writer, and lifestyle coach to my ability to continually teach and learn. Along the way, a sense of humor hasn't hurt a bit either!
· Substitute Instructor - Chesapeake College Adult Basic Education and English as a Second Language (ABE/ESL) Program, Wye Mills, Maryland, 2011-2014
· Founder and Moderator - Talbot County Free Library Evening Book Group, Easton, Maryland, 2006-2013
· Tutor & Small Group Instructor, Grades K-12 - Sylvan Learning Center, Easton, Maryland, 2006-2008
· Tutor, English as a Second Language - Oregon Community Colleges Literacy Program, Portland, Oregon, May-October 1998
· Adult Education Instructor, Job and English Training Plus Program, International Refugee Center of Oregon, Portland, May-July 1998
· Adult Education Instructor, Business and Special Interests, Portland Community College Community Education, Portland, Oregon, 1995-1998
· Learning Disabilities Specialist, K-1, Pigeon Cove Primary School, Rockport, Massachusetts, 1982-1983
· Educational Specialist, K-8, New England Home for Little Wanderers, Boston, Massachusetts, 1979-1982
· Full-time Teaching Internship, K-2, Combe Down Infant School, Bath, England, Fall 1977
Related Education, Training & Certifications
· University of Massachusetts, Amherst: BA Education, 1978; Certification: Elementary Education (K-8) Teacher
· Lesley University, Cambridge, Massachusetts: MA Education, 1980; Certification: Teacher of School Age Children with Special Needs
· Oregon Community Colleges Literacy Program, Portland, Oregon: Adult Literacy and ESL Instruction Workshops, 1998
· Chesapeake College Adult Education & English Language Learning Institute, Wye Mills, Maryland: Substitute Instructor Orientation and Training - Beginning ESL/Math & Reading for ABE, 2010