While the 2017 stats look like this...
- Lived in 9 states (some twice, heading north and south), and stayed the longest in Ann Arbor, Michigan (13 weeks of dental work!)
- Drove 7,200 miles (+/- 100); walked/hiked 535 miles, give or take; and biked 5,145 miles (yes, the most miles ever!), and had just one flat
- Camped in one national, 8 state, 3 county, and 2 private parks; slept at 4 hostels (including pastoral Malabar Farm); and treated myself to an AirBnB room 5 times
- Worked 190 hours (freelance writing and editing)
- Ate just one reuben (and it was great)
- Added a small "hot pot" to my inventory (coffee in the morning at camp)
- Read 82 books (absolutely, the most books I've ever read in one year)
...throughout the year, I spent time...
- Listening to a Vermont family play beautiful music under the stars
- Sharing time with two birthday boys on a fishing weekend, who gifted me with a care package
- Enjoying three Michigan kids who caught fresh fish, rode bikes and tried to teach me Dutch
- Hearing three or four people say, "we've been waiting for you" when I return to my fav camping spots
- Eating fresh eggs with Rebecca on her farm near Stone Mountain
- Leaving the "kids in Greenville" with homemade oatmeal cookies like mom used to make
- Chatting with the owner of the Blue Goose Hostel who has a great mission
- Drinking wine and laughing a lot with my 87 year old landlady in Ann Arbor
- Celebrating my birthday with 6 wonderful gal pals (and 4 pies) in Easton, MD
- Getting the local tour from 8 year old Jacob on Smith Island
- Playing Scrabble and eating mac 'n cheese with Sid and Judy on Jekyll Island
- Dancing to live music on a warm December afternoon in Fort Pierce
...and, there were also life experiences, like...
- Meeting my "twin" in Sebastian, Florida (and we are still in touch)
- Having an astronaut encounter at the Kennedy Space Center
- Adopting a "manatea" (yes, that's spelled correctly)
- Learning more than I ever imagined about composer, Stephen Foster
- Finding an entire town for sale in Georgia
- Living in a tiny house at my WorkAway in Greenville
- Touring the Chelsea Milling Company, as I'm thankful for a lifetime of Jiffy deliciousness
- Cycling my first organized event in too many years ("One Helluva Ride")
- Viewing the August eclipse on the bridge over the Youghiogheny River in PA
- Canoeing along the Chesapeake Bay near Bishops Head, MD
- Having some fun with visiting friends in Ann Arbor, at Janes Island State Park, and on St. Helena Island
- Camping through Hurricane Jose, but bailing before Maria showed up at the Outer Banks!
- Visiting numerous islands (Amelia, Dataw, Smith, Hatteras, Ocracoke, Bear, St. Helena, Hunting, Jekyll & St. Simons)
Yes, year four "in my Element" has officially begun, but 2018 seems light-years away!