Dreaming is Free*
While I haven’t been successful in securing a vaccine – the elusive reward for a Maryland winter – my time in place has brought light to my three-season personality, clarity to what the next few years may offer, and a dream list that will probably take me through life’s end. Here’s what’s brewing as dreaming is a really good thing right now:
• Bike tour Alaska and see the interior (not solo, because, bears)
• Hike the Kumano Kudo in Japan and travel beyond (soon, as it’s challenging terrain, but not in 2021)
• Spend a summer in Portugal and the Madeira Islands (wait for the Portugal fad to simmer)
• Volunteer at Bryce Canyon National Park and enjoy more of southern Utah (no rush at all)
• Give the state of New Mexico its due (I’ve passed through too rapidly, twice)
• Tour the Western Plains of Canada with a stop in Banff and Lake Louise, then a stay in Jasper National Park (not in busy July)
• Spend another summer in the Maritimes (my future seasonal home?), and do Bike Maine in September (canceled for 2021)
• Enjoy a French immersion program in Quebec Province or France (stay a while to use it)
• Qualify for a writing retreat in an amazing location to do nothing but write (get published before I perish)
• Volunteer with World Central Kitchen somewhere in the world (because they’re amazing)
• Cycle the Rhine River Route then visit friends in Belgium, France and the UK
• Spend a few days with a fun-loving person at the Hotel del Coronado (yes, it was on the 2015 list), and spend another week or two
in Point Loma (because, why not?)
In the short term, as in a few days, I’m rolling out of Ocean City to a small town on the Virginia Eastern Shore. Yes, I’m traveling 90 miles south and yes, I’m thrilled.
*Thanks to Blondie, Dreaming (recorded September 1979)
3/3/2021 12:35:38 pm
Congrats Judy, we made it! The end of lockdown and return to Normalcy. I would meet you in Austin if Delta still has strictest policies. Otherwise I will remained masked for cosplay reasons and cuz of my asthma/anemia. Have a blast! As always Judy!
3/4/2021 11:17:32 am
Lars: I'm so glad you're visiting with me! Yes, it looks like a bit of relief is in the air for 2021 and while I'll not be running wild, I'm feeling the taste of freedom after a long winter's hunkering down! Will be in touch soon. Judy G.
3/18/2021 12:51:32 pm
Congrats on making it through the challenges of February as you welcome Spring's equinox in a matter of days. Quite the impressive Dream Itinerary, much of which (or all!) I have no doubt that you will accomplish. No Scotland destination? Coronado/Pt. Loma a future birthday destination? May Canada's borders open soon.
3/18/2021 05:59:03 pm
AMG: Right now, it all seems like a dream and getting back in travel synch will be my goal for 2021. Yes, Canada needs to let me in fairly soon given Alaska, Jasper, and the Maritimes wish! Can't think of Scotland simply due to its weather right now. Coronado in August -- highest price is what I found out in 2015 so, hm. Cost aside that's an easy one; perhaps after Bryce :). j.
Leave a Reply.
Cyclist, writer, teacher, avid reader, bike/ped advocate, nomad, pie lover